Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Week to Change a Lifetime: Denise Elam.


This past June I had the wonderful opportunity to join over 800 other girls (including two from LHS) at Girls State 2013.
Girls State is a program that allows several students from various high schools all across the state (each state has their own program) to come together to create an imaginary government. Upon arrival the delegates are assigned a city and town and party, and soon they are thrown into a world where they can be anything they want to be – literally. Those who aspire to someday be Mayor or Attorney General or even Governor can create posters and slogans and meet new people and reel in the votes. Depending on your title, if you win the election you get to participate in mock trials and debates.
The week I spent at Girls State was a week full of non-stop activities, including a flag raising/lowering each day, a banner parade, a state fair, and, my personal favorite, listening to highly acclaimed politicians and businesswomen give speeches. Former Missouri Governor Roy Blunt was one of the speakers, as well as John Wright of the Missouri House of Representatives, Senator Claire McCaskill, and Governor Jay Nixon. Those interested in asking questions were allowed to do so, and it was a wonderful way to get real answers on the tough issues we are dealing with today. Delegates also have the opportunity to receive college credit from the class of their choosing that they must attend during the program. One day at Girls State felt like more like five, especially if you stayed up until almost three in the morning playing games and eating chips on your last night with the girls in your city.
When I first heard that Girls State would be all about government, I wasn’t sure it was something I wanted to do. Sure, I’d learned about it in school, but it just wasn’t something I was interested in at the time. I’m so glad I went because I left Girls State knowing so much more about Government than I ever had before. I even got to sit in the Missouri House of Representatives and debate bills. I left with lifelong friends, one of whom wasn’t even from this country (21 delegates were from China). I also left with a stronger sense of self; a stronger belief that all that I aspire to be I can be.
I’d encourage anyone who wants to have a Week To Change a Lifetime to check out a Girls (or Boys) State program in your area. You won’t regret it.

P.s. FED RED!!
P.p.s. BLAIR FLARES!

No comments:

Post a Comment